Chasing Rabbits and a "Monument-al" Swim

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Other than the King's Swim, training has been null and void for the last couple days due to travel. Fatigue and not so stellar training days have left me less than motivated about getting out the door for the last couple weeks. I needed something to renew my love for training. Coach SB shot me an email before we left telling me Kona has an energy that people talk about and that it is very real. As we flew in from Maui, "The Genuis" let me have the window seat. First site of the Big Island was the NE tip where the town of Hawi is located. For those not familar with the Ironman World Championships, Hawi is the bike turnaround point before heading back down to Kialua/Kona. The view from the air was................ominous......powerful..... kinda a violent feel..... in an odd way gorgeous. The shoreline was well defined, the most perfect color of blue vs. the black lava rock mixed with small white sand beaches and some areas of parched greenery. Once you left the coast it quickly turned mountainous and was a steady and sometimes rapid climb to the clouds. The volcanic heritage of this island is apparent.

I went and picked up my rental bike yesterday afternoon at Bike Works. "The Diesel" and I are close enough in size that with a simple seat adjustment, one bike would do us. I dressed accordingly and decided to ride up the Queen K Hwy for about 45 mins. and then back down into town and meet the girls back at the condo giving me about 1 hr. 35 min. total. It was nice to get out and test the legs.


This morning came early again....up at 1 am the first time but was able to doze some before getting up the final time a little before 5 am. But thats ok, it gets daylight here about 5:30.......my kinda place. Did not have time for a bike and I have really been itching to run since I got here so it was a quick snack, some fluids which did include some Kona Coffee, run stuff and out the door. From the start I just felt different. I wanted to run and wanted to run fast. So I did. Anyone who has ever swam, biked, or ran, or did anything ever involving a race will understand when I say I started "chasing rabbits".
I left the condo and ran north into town and to the pier, about 1 3/4 miles. About 1/2 mile into my run I spotted HIM......my first victim, young guy, baggy shorts, ipod. A statigic pass on an uphill grade only made me hungry for more. I ran with and past all ages, shapes, and differing degrees of fitness. No matter, when I am running, I speak and say "Good Morning," to each and every one. They are as happy to be out training as I am. You can't help but to wonder what each of their story is. The triathletes are easy. Most have on a blue and white cap with "The King's Swim" on the back and have aspirations of the big dance in October held right here in their home town. Everyone else is getting fit, testing their limits, and enjoying this beautiful morning on the Big Island.

{from Julie: Not out running today, on vacation, still swilling coffee at condo and watching the Genius sleep. Hip/back area sore and stiff after birthday run and plane ride}

After turning around at the pier, I headed back south on Ali'i to Keahou, approximately 5 1/2 miles, turned around and then back to the condo, a total of 11 miles of chasing rabbits and feeling happy about running. By 7:15 I was back in the condo feeling good and looking forward to the rest of the day.


We loaded up the Jeep and headed south today to see the Captain Cook Monument across Kealakekua Bay. Located in the South Kona district, the drive takes you from sea level up to about 2000 feet, through some of the coffee growing areas and then back to sea level. When I say the monument, which was errected in 1874, is across the bay I mean it is not accessable by land. If you want to see it there are only two ways, kayak or swim. We knew this and had a plan. "The Genuis" kayaks, "The Diesel" and me swim. Oh this is not just your ordinary swim. This is somewhere between 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 miles..................one way.................in the most amazing blue water yet. And yes we swam both ways, got pics at the monument and did some amazing snorkeling there as well.




{from Julie: Details on the swim. I am not a swimmer. Blain did little intervals, then waited on me to catch up....as soon as I got close to him he shot off again. I think he really intended to pull me (or he could just be mad at me about something) but it is not possible for him to swim slowly enough for me to keep up. OK he had an enjoyable swim and I got a great workout. Did I mention he ate before and after his run, Tyler had a fruit rollup and part of an apple, I had a piece of toast 2 hours before we left for the swim. We now have 1 water bottle, 1 banana, and a crushed single serving pack of fig newtons in the kayak for the time spent snorkeling and the return swim. I'm nervous... and willing to fight for food. Couldn't believe there was no one hocking food near the bay. Riding back in the boat with The Genius is not an option because the nice, big, heavily tattooed, initially very scary looking Hawaiian kayak rental dude had insinuated that we'd need the 2 seater kayak so when I got tired I could ride back. This came the day after the bike shop dude gave me shorter bike route options than he gave Blain, because he figured I rode less. I'm starting to get a little insulted! It didn't help that to get into the water to start the swim there was no beach. You could either step down into a boat, or jump off a 8 foot concrete wall and try to miss the coral. Blain jumped, I declined in a very humiliating fashion. I know it was the smarter decision, but Tyler had to bring the boat over for me to climb into then I slipped out of the boat once in deeper water. So now you see why I had to finish that swim. Just as a heads up... I'm a little scared of heights.... tomorrow we're zip lining. It was all worth it because when we finally got back and rock climbed our way back up to Kayak Dude he confirmed that we swam both ways and the Kayak Rental Dude said "man, that's sick!" I've never been so proud. But also hungry, he recommended Kalama's one mile away; a road stand with very good food.

Blain and Ty had KimChee burgers (hamburger with spices and Korean pickled cabbage) see photo, they tasted as good as they looked.


Next we toured the painted Church, entire inside murals painted by Father Damian during the 1800's.


Drove back to Kailua where the Genius caught a nap and I stocked FOOD in the condo. Watched the sun set and had a light dinner at Lava Java.



Another great day, and no one is sunburned yet... though I do have a very unattractive swim cap tan line.}

Even Flipper got tired after that swim! :)
Aloha!
The Three Coconuts

Posted by The Three Coconuts at 9:47 PM  
0 comments

Post a Comment