Longhorn 70.3 Race Report

Sunday, November 8, 2009


After all the vacation fun, it was time to think about racing... it would be easier to take this seriously if they didn't have the cool horns all over the place. Friday we did our usual little quick run and bike then checked our bikes for the race. There were two separate transition areas so there were a few bags involved and a little extra mental effort to make sure the right stuff was in the right place and the right time. Had a late lunch at Free World Burrito (giant awesome burritos... think Chipotle on performance enhancers) then actually got a little pasta delivered that night. Dozed all afternoon while The Genius did homework, then early to bed.

Great weather morning temperatures around 60 with a high around 80 with some clouds that kept the sun from being to nasty on the run course. The swim is in a Lake with long, arm and goggle grabbing plantlife near the shore. Otherwise it is a beautiful swim, with just a little chop in the middle. Swim seemed long, maybe I was just spoiled by the down current conditions at Augusta, and as usual I'm sure I didn't swim very straight. I managed to use up 10 additional minutes during the swim over Augusta and really thought I could be facing a very bad day. T1 was a little slow with repacking wetsuit into the bags as was required.

I was so happy to get on my bike, and so happy my last tri swim of the year was OVER. We had driven the bike course so I knew to expect plenty of hills, rocks, roots and ruts.... yes this was a road bike race, not mountain biking. They definitely need to do some road work in Texas, one competitors theory is that they are trying to keep people from riding road bikes. I did expect a little better in Lance's home town. Tried to keep some fast riders in sight and really pushed hard on this bike. I thought I was likely wrecking my run, but I wanted to dig deep and see what would happen. I was riding so hard I pushed right up and into the dismount line before realizing I forgot to take my bike shoes off. I screeched to a stop, a little confused, and dismounted slowly on very wobbly legs. But I knew the bike was fast, and it was a decision I had made... now it was time to pay the piper. T2 took a while, I just wasn't really focused yet and my legs weren't cooperating. Dropped fuel belt bottles a few times, cursed a lot, almost fell over trying to get my run shoes on. You get the picture. I did do a good job at getting all my nutrition in so I can't blame the carb's... and I was pretty sure I had made back up some time on the bike (even though it was a much tougher bike).

I started the run with some doubts, but just figured I'd start and see if the legs would come around. I planned to start really slowly anyway. No problem there. Loved the race set up with T2 outside the coliseum where the finish line was. Leaving T2 we ran through the coliseum then out for the first of 3 loops. There were concrete floors in the building and volunteers were warning us about slipping... this plays a part in some decisions later. I followed my food plan very carefully after my mistakes in Augusta. I didn't look at my watch till around mile 3 when I realized that I was actually making pretty good time. The course is all hills, you're either up or down.... so I jogged up and ran down. I have an exceptionally good relationship with gravity. This appeared to be working. Second loop still feeling pretty decent, just trying to be steady so I can finish strong. Nutrition... check. GI tract.... check. I thank Infinit nutrition and all my support crew for finally beating some better pre-race food decisions into my head. I smile anytime I can run past a porta potty rather than running to one. Had a slow mile around 9 taking in last of the gels, then I picked up the pace to the end. Hurting but running well. Passed a lady wearing a cupcake top around mile 12. Her age was worn off her calf and I just kept running my pace. She passed me back with around 3/4 mile to go and just kept building. I hung on about 15 seconds back and though maybe I could close enough to make a sprint for it. But I didn't get the gap closed well, she was running scared... and I chickened out when I was thinking about the slippery concrete floor we had to do a loop and U turn on to get to the finish. Maybe I just didn't believe enough, I had a great run so maybe I just didn't have enough left, I hate being injured and really turn into a weenie when anything looks like it might interfere with my future plans... but this will give me things to think about this winter. And the cupcake crew is a large group of triathlete women that regularly compete so I'm already reliving my finish every time I see one of their team tops.


Overall a great race for me and a growing experience. What more could I ask for. I finished in 5 hours and 24 minutes. I made up all but one of the ten minutes lost in the water over the Augusta race. Had a personal best bike average and run average for a half iron distance. And I was tenth in my age group!! Big goal achieved, I had put the goal down on my list but really didn't believe it would happen anytime soon... like I was thinking years down the road. I'm amazed. So I celebrated, felt great, drank lite beer (peed what looked like dark beer), hung with The Genius and Flipper. Watched Flipper get a podium spot in his age group. Getting ready to party at IM FL with Alan (my great brother in law) doing his first Ironman, then getting to watch Flipper go play at the 70.3 World Championships. Will only be home long enough to do some laundry for the next few weeks... Carpe Diem.

Aloha,
The Diesel
for The Three Coconuts.

Posted by The Three Coconuts at 5:50 PM  
0 comments

Post a Comment